Thursday 4 October 2012

[Animals] Rest in peace, Theo.

I really wanted to make a post here, but was struggling with a topic. I thought about updating on Theo, but the last that saw him, he was doing very well, and I didn't have much else to say, or at least, that I really could say. So, I way trying to think of another topic...unfortunately, I recieved an e-mail today that just broke my heart...

Theodore passed away last night. While his chances were not good to begin with, he had shown some impressive improvements that had me really feeling hopeful for his recovery, and eventual possible release. I don't have all of the information, but it sounds like he took a very sudden turn downhill....Currently waiting on necropsy results, to find out the cause of death...I know that while this is truly upsetting (I'm fighting tooth and nail against some serious tears right now), good will also come of this...Harbor porpoises are not very well known, so there is much knowledge to gain from Theo, even after death.

I'm truly grateful for the opportunity to have had a few shifts with him, and to have watched him make those steps to recovery. To have been able to spend that time with him.

I leave you with a link to the Vancouver Aquarium's blog post on the matter, which can explain things much better of course, than I can.

http://www.aquablog.ca/2012/10/stranded-harbour-porpoise-theo-fails-to-recover/


No comments:

Post a Comment