Saturday 8 December 2012

Christmas Shouldn't Be Offensive



I recently read something where someone was greatly offended by a Christmas movie they watched, because they weren't Christian. This movie, had no religious connotations whatsoever, really. Okay, it was Polar Express. You know, the 3D animated movie where a kid gets on a train to see Santa Claus. Not Jesus, not some big Christian birthday party, or what have you. 

I think I need to clarify that I'm not writing this to be offensive. While admittedly religion makes me uncomfortable, I'm becoming more tolerant. So, don't hate.

I can understand people disliking the over-commercialization of the holiday. I can understand not celebrating for religious reasons. I don't understand however, how some people can get so offended over something that isn't religious.

Not everyone who celebrates Christmas is Christian. I'm not, and it's my favorite time of year. The holiday has different meanings for a lot of people. For me, and I -think- many other people, the holiday is less about the birth of some guy named Jesus, and more about the 'spirit' of the season. The warmth, and joy. The giving (and to a small degree, receiving. I can't lie. ), the family and friends, spending time with all of your loved ones. It's a great excuse to gather everyone you love under one roof and just have a great time. Yes, I know you shouldn't need an excuse, but it's difficult to find a time when most people are even available for gatherings, now isn't it? That's what Christmas is to me, at least.

 I don't think religion should ever be flaunted, but since it is still a big part of the holiday for some people, I'll respect that. I don't have to like it, or really even approve of it, but I'll respect it all the same. So long as someone doesn't tell me I'm going to Hell for not sharing the same belief, we're cool. You keep your beliefs to yourself, and I'll do the same.

If anyone is interested in the origins of Christmas, Britannica has a nice, fairly short little post about it. Enjoy!
And yes, this is super early...but considering the content of this blog post, it feels appropriate.
http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2011/12/origin-christmas-december/

I wish you all a safe and joyous holiday season! Enjoy the company of your friends and family, gifts that you give and receive, delicious food and treats. Revel in the beauty of the falling snow, if you're lucky enough to have it. And of course, stay safe!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Joyous Kwanza , Happy Chanukah, 
~Jenicsaco

No comments:

Post a Comment