Tuesday 11 September 2012

[Animals] When will people learn?

I'm going to try and write this as cohesively as possible, but to be frank, it really gets me irked.

There is a protest happening at Marineland against the obvious poor conditions, and all the malaise that seems to surround it. I'm not terribly against it...Admittedly, I haven't seen any of it first hand, but I do have some sources I trust that lead me to believe some of the hype that's floating around.

However, the Coalition for No Whales in Captivity (hence force known as 'The Coalition') in British Columbia is setting up a mirror protest at the Vancouver Aquarium. The Vancouver Aquarium and Marineland are entirely different entities, and are practically worlds apart.

I'll throw in my disclaimer right now that I cannot speak officially for the Vancouver Aquarium. This post is merely based on my own personal opinions, and feelings. Facts will be cited. Citations for cetaceans? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Let's throw up this image, which is of the proposed banners they will be flaunting. I will only comment on these images, because I don't have forever to correct the mountain of ignorance they have formed.

Credit obviously for the 'banners' goes to The Coalition. Not sure of the original photo sources. 
"Your money fuels the cruel capture of whales and dolphins."
    I don't really even know where to start with this one. The money from donations, admission, memberships, etc. goes obviously to operating costs (the animals eat a lot, and it ins't cheap! Neither are their health care costs, I'd imagine.), educational programs, research, animal rescues, staffing, and everything else it takes to keep the Aquarium fun, educational, and the animals safe and healthy.

Credit Norbert Rosing
Those maggot-looking things are
 beluga whales. Look pretty cozy,
don't they?
The image next to this quote looks to imply that the belugas are kept in a cramped, tiny tank. That is the animal care pool, which is not even close to half of their exhibit size. This species has proven to be comfortable in small spaces. Frequently, the belugas will swim into the animal care pool, as the gate is almost always open, when they want to relax. They have no qualms about spending their time in there. (Personally, I've seen up to four whales puttering around in their on their own free will. I think they're nuts, but that's their choice.)

This bit also applies to the last banner as well, but I'll go ahead and add it in here.

The Vancouver Aquarium and the Vancouver Parks board had come to the agreement years ago ( Unfortunately I can't seem to find the exact date this was announced, but it was before 2006. Probably quite a while before that. ). The agreement states that the Aquarium will no longer capture any new animals, and will not bring in any animals captured after September 1996. It can exchange animals for others caught before that date, or those that were born in captivity, in order to to benefit the animals social needs. Animals that were rescued and deemed non-releasable by the government due to physical disabilities or ongoing health issues are also an exception. [ Citation. Plenty of other great information as well. ]

"8 Marineland whale trainers quit and exposed the cruelty"
   This has nothing to do with the Vancouver Aquarium. The animals' living conditions are completely different. I can't even really elaborate on this. The animals in Vancouver are not suffering skin conditions, or any serious, ongoing health issues. That much is evident if you stop to actually watch a show, and see the animals performing natural behaviors. Strong, and healthy. They are also provided with enrichment through the day to keep them stimulated.

"You bought 3 dolphins from Japan fueling the annual dolphin slaughter."
  I can see how an uneducated person on this matter may get confused. Yes, three dolphins did come from Japan. Yes, there are horrific dolphin drives and slaughters down there, with many animals being bought and sold to various facilities. However, the three dolphins (two currently living) were all rescued from fishing nets. Their scars are very evident, and could not be released for visibly obvious reasons.
No one in their right mind would support the drive, and should work to stop it, and similar operations still happening across the globe. No, sadly, Taiji isn't the only one. It was made famous by the movie The Cove, which I do recommend. Know however, the Ric O'Barry is a crazy,delusional old fart, and that you should take anything he states as fact with a grain of salt.

I will go on to say that no animals in North America are from those drives. Those animals go to primarily asian zoos and aquariums. If you are interested in the drives, and the animals that are caught, I will direct you to a personal favorite website of mine. A fantastic resource that is always being updated by a fantastic and dedicated person. Ceta-Base.com . For all your cetacean related news and information! She (he?) has some very good sources of information, and I consider her (him?) to be very trustworthy.


In other news, a short blurb about Theodore. While his prognosis seems to be improving, it's still all up in the air of course. He -looks- better, with a lot of wounds pretty well closed up. He's swimming a lot, too. Eating plenty as well. I'm pretty hopeful this little dude will be back and frolicking in the ocean one day. That could change though, and I won't say why, but I can understand if that goal changes. Still, I keep my fingers crossed for him! ~Jenicsaco

No comments:

Post a Comment