Friday 17 August 2012

[Animals] Meeting Theodore

So last Monday, I met Theodore. He's a three year old harbor porpoise at the Vancouver Aquarium's Marine Mammal Rescue Centre (what a mouthful!). Due to confidentiality, and respect, I won't divulge too much. I'm going to try not to speculate too much either. It was a pleasure to meet him, though. I've still got my fingers crossed for him, because I still think there's a good chance he can be released, if he survives.

It may be because he's probably exhausted, and in some pain, but he seems pretty laid back. Compared to Jack and Daisy, his personality seems to be a lot less...attention-whorish. He's not jittery, and quite calm for the most part. Bear in mind, this is just my observations from sitting next to his pool for four hours. I could have just caught him on some down time, for all I know.

I'll be going back next week, which I'm looking forward to. It takes me an hour and a half to get there, and for a four hour shift, it can take a bit to get myself going. It's always worth it when I get to the centre though. Porpoise watch is pretty relaxed, and much easier on my bad back than it was to work with the seal pups that come in. I like that I can still help out.

Seal pups, I feel the need to mention, are adorable. However...a thought came to me on Monday when I was watching Theo. There's a pool with pups close to being able to be released directing behind me, which is blocked off by tarp and barrier across the ground. I could reach back and touch a pup if it was on the haul-out, if the barrier weren't there. And if I wanted to lose my position, probably job, and maybe a finger. That's how close they are. Anyways...seal pups sound an awful lot like zombies. Adorable little zombies. Espescially when you can't see them...The "maw'ing", groaning and moaning, and other odd noises. Just sayin'.

~Jenicsaco

No comments:

Post a Comment