Tuesday 31 July 2012

[Animals] Here We Go Again

So, another harbor porpoise has been rescued of BC's coast! And again, I've signed up to help. Confidentiality keeps me from saying too much, or posting any pictures. At least, that was the drills last time, I assume it's the same as always. Regardless, I'm excited! A young adult, named Theodore.

Click here for more info on Theodore. Photo credit goes to
the Vancouver Aquarum. 
I know I shouldn't speculate, but if he survives (that's a huge if), I think chances could be good that he could be released. That is of course, assuming the damage done to his tail doesn't have any lasting effects. Though, it is to my understanding that stranded cetaceans often suffer from serious muscle damage. So, that could have a negative impact as well. It would be nice to seem him released though. It would be fantastic for the Aquarium, knowing that for any new animal that makes its home there, "animal rights" groups have a field day. "Oh, they just want another animal for their collection.". If these groups really knew anything about these animals, they would know that they could not survive in the wild. (I'm referring to Jack and Daisy, here) The decision to be released, or kept, is not even up to the Aquarium in any way. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (a government operation) is responsible for that decision.

Due to the fact that he's a bit older than Jack and Daisy were, I think he stands a better chance of release. However, it seems that the older animals haven't done as well in recovery, and the muscle damage/tail wound  could really impact his recovery and chance of release.

Then again, I'm just thinking aloud here, and I don't have any fancy degrees, and I can't speak for the animal care staff. Please do not take this post too seriously. Anything could happen. Let's all just wish Theodore good luck, and a speedy recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment