Sunday 22 July 2012

[Animals] My New Fur Baby


Our handsome boy, Monster. 

So yesterday (July 21st, 2012), we acquired a kitty!
His name is Monster, who's a five year old tabby (born June 21st). We adopted him from my fiance's dad, who will be moving soon-ish.

His old parents brought over some essentials that they had; food, bowls, bed. We used a small Rubbermaid tote for a makeshift litter box last night, which he used with no problem. He didn't seem to mind being in a new home either, even still. Within the first hour or two, he had plenty to eat and drink, and used the litterbox a few hours later. He's wandered around headbutting everything, rubbing his scent all around, and spending lots of quality time in his bed from his old home. He's vaguely familiar with Scott and I, but either way, I don't think he'd mind. He's very friendly, and affectionate, again, lots of rubbing and attention seeking without being annoying or aggressive.

We took a trip to PetSmart today to pick up some more food, litter pan, a cat carrier, and a few other little things. I found the cat carrier that I saw online that I'd wanted, and I'm -so- happy with it. We loaded the small things into it for the trip home, so it was probably as heavy as Monster, and the grip on the shoulder straps made it very, very comfortable. I wouldn't mind using it as a purse.
The Bergan Elite Pet Carrier.
Super comfy. 
We got the 'Jumbo' sized one
 with double locks.
Sheets of plastic with holes for loose litter
to fall back through. 




It's nice to have another cat...despite some the less fun things like cleaning the litter box. I think I made a good call with the litter box that I did purchase. However, despite asking someone if they thought the large sifting liners were the right size, we still ended up with ones too small. Oh well. We're just not using them,  and going bare-box. Too bad though, I've never seen or heard of sifting liners, but they're a really neat idea! I'm happy to report that he's used the second new litter box, too! This makes me extra happy, because Monster was typically an outdoor cat, going outside whenever he pleased by way of cat door.

I'm curious to see how Monster transitions from having that freedom to come and go as he pleases, to being strictly indoor. We live in an apartment on the second floor, any outdoor privileges are simply not going to happen. Unless I decide to harness train him. Thus far, he's followed me to the balcony door a couple times and rubbed against it, or just sat by it. I imagine he's expecting me to open it for him, but that's been pretty rare. The front door, which I dreaded, hasn't been an issue. When we're leaving, he's either in his bed, or sleeping under our bed. He really doesn't seem to pay much attention at all to the front door, which is fantastic!
I'd fully anticipated him to be out of sorts for a couple of days, while he transitioned, but really...Monster hasn't missed a beat.
An interesting quirk of his, is that unless he's walking around, or sound asleep, he's kneading. Making biscuits. Whatever. My goodness, does he have big paws, too! So I'll warn anyone that wants to hold him, or let him sleep on their lap...You'll probably get claws. I'm not really sure that he can even help it. It's cute as heck to watch though. We figure he was taken from his mom too early. This was also suspected by his old parents, and a lady at Pet Smart.  A happy alternative is just sitting next to him and giving him all the rubs and pets you can stand to give him. I've gotten bored with petting him before he'd tire of it every time so far. And that says a lot,

I'm happy, though. Since losing Skittles in 2010, once the pain had faded, roughly a year later, I've seriously wanted a cat in my life again. Now we have Monster...and his fluffiness reminds me so much of Skittles...this is a nice addition to my life. It's new, but not too strange.



Oh Monster, you sexy beast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment