Thursday 15 November 2012

[Movies & Philosophy] End of the World?

So, I haven't been around much as I've been pretty darned sick. My apologies, if there's anyone out there that actually follows me. ;) I'm finally starting to think I may be getting better, which is fantastic news after almost a full week of misery and grossness. I'll spare you the details, don't worry.

Anyhow, there's one thing that's been on my mind a lot lately. The end of the world. Yeah, it's pretty dark. But, I can't stop thinking about it! A friend is writing a story revolving around that topic (which I can wait to read), some crazy people say the world will end this year, and I recently watched a related movie.

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World

The same friend writing the story recommended this to me, and not being in the mood to do much but lounge around, it was the prefect time to watch this! Cuddled up with the fiance and hit the 'play' button. 

First off, I really enjoyed this movie. There's a lot of comedy in it, and I quite enjoy Steve Carell. He didn't play quite such an over-the-top character as he usually does, and it was good. I'm really terrible and writing synopsises...sinopsis? I can't without giving away everything, so I'll refrain. There are a lot of sweet, hopeful moments. There are also some sad ones. The movie ended, and my fiance and I sat in a moment or two of silence, tears rolling down our cheeks. 

The big reason I really enjoyed this movie was because it made me think. The world learns that the world is going to end in three weeks. What would I do in that situation? Would I try to carry on a normal life? Bite the bullet early? Quit everything and cram in as much adventure as possible? Spend time with loved ones? I would say a mix of the latter two, if my time were that short. Suffice to say, the world would more or less be chaos. 


What if it were farther in the future? Say, fifty years? The world still needs to function...food still needs to be produced, electricity, other essentials. Knowing our time was limited though, would most throw out any 'green' habits, or race to try to save it? I suppose it depends on the apocalypse. Still, there are so many variables to factor in, so many outcomes. So many ways one could react. One thing breaks my heart when I put myself in this situation, is that I wouldn't be able to have a child. My one big dream in life is to raise a kid.  Obviously, that would just be cruel, to bring a child into a world you know is doomed. 

Then again, that far in the future, what if they develop something that will save the planet by then? 

Ugh, deep thinking is not good for this sick gal...Anywho, this is just what I've been pondering fervently for the last week or two. What would you do if the world was going to end in a month? Fifty years?

Live long and prosper, friends.
~Jenicsaco 

No comments:

Post a Comment